If you are a fan of online casinos, you must have already noticed they all advertise different types of slots. Although classic slots have their perks, the progressive ones – and their enormous prizes – are far more interesting. Today, we’ll dive into the exciting world of progressive jackpot slots.
Classic vs. Progressive Slots
The main difference between classic and progressive slots is the jackpot. While classic slot games have a fixed jackpot, progressive slots have a jackpot that increases each time somebody plays the game. It keeps on rising until one lucky player hits it.
On the downside, they’re not as easy to play. Classic or three-reel slots have one to five paylines, and are an excellent choice for beginners. Progressive slots, on the other hand, have five reels and multiple payline formats.
How Do Progressive Jackpot Slots Work?
Progressive slots accumulate money for the grand prize every time a new player enters the game. They take a small percentage of each player’s bet and add it to the pot. Each time a player spins the reels and fails, the slot machine increases the pot prize. The more players there are, the bigger the jackpot.
Gamblers often get attracted by slots with progressive jackpots that haven’t been won for some time, as they offer a chance to win gigantic sums of money. Experienced gamblers keep track of the dates the jackpots were won, as well as their sizes, to try and figure out when it might happen again.
Progressive Jackpot Slots Basics
Now that we know how progressive slots work, we should also go through some basics and terms to help you better understand the gameplay.
Reels run vertically across the game screen, showing players different symbols they should match to win the game.
All slot machines have a number of rows that run horizontally. Most slots have three rows, but there are also some with more than that.
Paylines are symbol patterns that can make winning combinations. The more paylines progressive jackpot slots have, the more combinations and chances you have for winning the game.
Symbols are the pictures on the reels that comprise your winning combination. Each symbol has a certain value, and by matching them, you can win extraordinary prizes or even a jackpot.
- Jackpot Meter
The jackpot meter is a feature all progressive slots incorporate. It shows the current value of the jackpot, and it’s usually bright-coloured and placed above the slot machine to catch the player’s attention.
RTP, or the return-to-player rate, is the percentage of money a slot machine will pay back to the player over the course of playing. The best progressive jackpot slots have higher RTPs and attract more players. If the RTP is 90%, the game will give back $90 for every $100 it took from a player.
Volatility is a term used to assess the risk of losing a bet. It estimates how often a slot lands a winning combination and how big of a payout you can expect; slots have three levels of volatility: Low, medium, and high.
How To Play Progressive Slots
Progressive slots gameplay does not differ much from that of the classics. Still, some things can help you choose the right slot machine, so here are important factors to consider as you learn how to play progressive jackpot slots:
- Once you find the progressive slot you’re interested in, you should start the game by determining your bet per each line. You can do that by clicking on the bet button located at the bottom of the screen.
- Different types of jackpot slots games allow players to bet either on currency value or on credit. When playing slots with a currency value, you need to choose the amount of money you’re willing to wager per line. On the other hand, with a credit bet, you need to assign the value of each game coin.
- The next step is one of the most important things when playing progressive jackpot slots – deciding how many coins you wish to wager per line. The amount of coins determines the total stake for a spin.
- Now, all that’s left to do is sit back and enjoy the game.
Winning on Progressive Slot Machines
There is no magic formula for success you can use to win the jackpot on progressive slot machines. There are, however, some strategies you can use to improve your odds and potentially trigger the reward.
- Check the jackpot meters. By keeping track of the jackpots that have been won, you can figure out the pattern of how often it happens with certain slot games.
- Look for new slot tiles. When choosing progressive jackpot slots online, try to go with newer titles from established game providers. Experienced gamblers will primarily look for old and proven games, which means you have the chance to explore the new jackpot slots. Both software developers and online casinos try their best to promote new slot titles, and a won jackpot is a great way of doing just that.
- Play with maximum bets. High-stake progressive slots award players with free tickets when they spin the reels. The more you bet, the more tickets you’re likely to earn.
- Practice on free slots first. Before opting in for real-money games, try some free progressive slots to gain experience and understand how the game works.
Types of Progressive Jackpots
Some of the best slot sites you can find feature different kinds of progressive jackpots. The size of a jackpot depends on how many players enter a game and the number of linked up machines. Here are three main categories of progressive jackpots you can expect to find at an online casino:
- Standalone Jackpots
As the name suggests, these jackpots are reserved for only one machine and are not linked to any other slot machines at the casino.
- Local Jackpots
These types of jackpots are also known as “in-house” jackpots. In brick-and-mortar casinos, local jackpots are linked together between multiple machines offering progressive jackpot slots. On the other hand, in online casinos, numerous games can be connected.
- Network Progressive Slots
If you’re interested in finding the slots with the largest jackpots, network progressive slots are just what you’re looking for. They are also called “wide-area” progressive slots, as they are link casinos together. Since they include different venues in their network, the chances of winning one of these jackpots are smaller, as there are many more players involved. However, for the same reason, the prizes are massive.
The Biggest Jackpot Wins of All Time
While some players like to enjoy free online progressive jackpot slots, others dream big and play on the highest-stake machines and games. Here are some facts about one of the biggest jackpot slots and its winners:
- Mega Moolah is a progressive jackpot slot game with the biggest payouts, also known as the “Million Maker.”
- The biggest Mega Moolah jackpot was won on September 28, 2018, when a lucky player got the amazing €18,9 million pot in the Grand Mondial Casino.
- Jon Heywood, a war veteran from the UK, hit the jackpot and won £13,2 million on the Mega Moolah slot in Betway Casino on October 6, 2015.